Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:17:41 -0500
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP system not running SMP

In message <E1FvD6i-0009xp-H4@dilbert.firstcallgroup.co.uk>, Pete French writes
:
>> Yeah.  What's curious, to me, is that this is apparently widespread.

>Well, only you and I seem to be seeing this precise problem, but it
>does look like ti is the *same* problem, which is what interests me.

We haven't heard from anyone using boards with this hardware in SMP.

I don't know how many amd64 users are trying for SMP, but it's interesting
that no one seems to be doing it successfully with Adaptec controllers
(possibly qualified to "on motherboards with this chipset").

>> I think my next option is to boot with acpi, but with everything I can
>> possibly disable disabled.

>Yours works without the devices in ther kerenel, right ? That's the only
>way I got mine to boot SMP with the boards still plugged in.

Yup.  But I oughta try the experiment of disabling EVERY ACPI feature that
I can.

I'm also gonna boot NetBSD again and see whether I spot anything interesting.
What's bugging me is that, despite people having told me you can't have SMP
without ACPI, I thought I did the NetBSD test back when I had ACPI disabled
in the BIOS.  I'm probably just remembering wrong, but now I have to go look.

-s