Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 100 23:44:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

In some email I received from Randy Bush, sie wrote:

> > 4.0-RELEASE sounds like it will start becoming available at about the same
> > time as other OS's make new releases *with* IPv6/IPSec.  You work it out
> > whether or not FreeBSD will win or lose from those two being there or not
> > there.
>
> what if the choice is
>   o release at the same time with lots-o-features but not all of v6
>   o release _considerably later_ with all of v6, well most of it?
>
> where's your competitive advanatge in the latter?

You don't have to re-release the same year pushing IPv6.

Some have suggested 4.1 for IPv6 - bah.  That'd be like how RedHat tried
to make a big deal out of 6.y (see what I mean ?) vs someone else's new
X.

Then again, it seems FreeBSD releases are driven by marchitecture rather
than architecture.  mmm, theregister

Darren