Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:21:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jerry Dunham wrote:

> Or just as slowly.  The learning curve for vi is very painful, and I
> understand the curve for Emacs is no better.

I use both, and even though I use emacs bindings less (actually I use
jed with emacs bindings), I still make more mistakes in vi.  For some
reason, I don't think I'll ever get used to modes, and I think that is the
single part of vi that causes other users problems as well (the rest of
the programming team here uses vi exclusively while under unix, and they
still make errors too).

I don't think that emacs bindings are any easier or harder to remember
than vi bindings are, it's just the modes that I trip over.