Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 00:50:55 GMT
From:      "Some Person" <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Securing boot -s and disabling CNTRL-ALT-DEL...

Hi there,

Is there a way to secure the console of a FreeBSD box from someone
rebooting, weather they pull the plug or CNTRL-ALT-DEL (if not disabled) and
issuing a boot -s without having complete root access in single user mode
with not password prompt?
In other words, what I mean is that anyone at the console can reboot the
system, issue a boot -s, and have local root access! even `passwd root'.
Not something I want of course, and I haven't used Linux in a long long time
(sigh of relief) but I recall they had a way of password protecting that
somehow as well. There must be a way, because that's not very secure
otherwise and would really suck if some discruntled employee gained access
to the console and did boot -s ; rm -rf /. You know?

Also, i forgot, but some how on my BSD boxes, I disabled the CNTRL-ALT-DEL
function, could anyone please remind me how I did it? :)

Thanks so much!