Date:      09 Oct 2002 08:41:47 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        <keramidafreebsd.org@hell.gr>
Subject:   Re: make world script

Giorgos Keramidas <keramidafreebsd.org@hell.gr> writes:

> On 2002-10-08 22:16, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
> > Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> > > You could also hack something around the "make release" target, if you
> >
> > "make update" is specifically for this purpose, actually.
>
> No, make update will run cvsup to update the source tree.  It isn't
> similar to "make release".  Reading through /usr/src/Makefile.inc1
> shows exactly what make update runs.  No build commands in there.
> Unless you mean something different which I missed.

I was a little brief; sorry about that.  The original poster wanted to
update his whole system in one shot.  "make release" isn't really
intended for that, although it does build everything.  It does a fair
amount of extra work too, although if the original poster is leaving the
machine alone while its chugs through the build procedure, that probably
isn't very important.  For those purposes, your 'hack something around
"make release"' approach is fairly similar to "make update world".  [If
the intent was to use the built release to install on a *different*
machine, that would obviously require "make release", but I don't see
any messages indicating that was a goal in this case.]

It's important to reiterate for the sake of newcomers that both
approaches (any unattended approach, in fact) have the same shortcoming;
they don't update /etc or /dev.  The majority of the time, this can be
done after the the upgrade, but sometimes it will leave the system
unusable.  The one-shot upgrade, as requested by the original poster, is
neither supported nor recommended, although lots of people understand and
are willing to take the risk.

 - Lowell