Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:33:38 -0500
From:      Eugene Lee <eugene@fsck.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't start apache

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 11:11:49AM +0200, H. Bartel wrote:
:
: I just installed freeBSD for the first time and now I'm trying to get
: apache running. When running "apachectl start" I get the following
: error:
:
: "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for Servername

This is a warning, not an error.  Apache is still starting up.

: httpd not running, trying to start
: (13) Permission denied: make_sock: Could not bind to address [::]:80
: no listening sockets available, shutting down

You must be root in order to bind to ports below 1024, so you must run
"apachectl start" as root.

: Unable to open logs"

Another root thing, trying to open the Apache logs in a directory that
your normal account can't access but the root account can access.

: When running "sudo apachectl start" I only get this:
:
: "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for Servername"

Again, this is a warning, not an error.  With sudo, "apachectl start"
gets run as root, so you do not encounter the previous errors.  And at
this point, Apache is running.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene at fsck dot net