Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:01:57 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

>> dennis wrote:
>>
>> > I'm thinking about a $600. solution in reasonable quantities (about $250.
>> > for the TA and $350. for the card and software). Better than ISDN card
>>
>> I think you're being pretty optimistic about the cost of the TA..  And
>> why so much for the card?  You're telling me it costs more to make a
>> sync serial card than a reasonably high quality TA?
>
>Quite possibly  :-)  I do not find it hard to believe that it costs a lot to
>produce a "niche" product.
>
>Dennis is, however, comparing apples and pumpkins, because he is quoting
>$250 on one hand for a sync TA, and $650 (the price you paid) for an async
>TA, when the truth is more like $260 for an inexpensive async TA such as the
>Bitsurfer.

I'm just going by what Jordan said..........

>Given a sufficiently inexpensive sync serial card, physical control of both
>ends of the link (so that you don't have somebody charging you a fortune for
>the privilege of doing sync serial on a router port, etc), I think it could
>be a really good solution.  I would do it myself.  :-)

If you can get an extras $50 or $100 a month the price of the card is
recovered quite quickly. and since the smart sync uses less CPU at the hub,
you get more use out of your hub CPU.  Its a selling point, for those that
want it. If you have an advantage over other ISPs then you can lure more
customers. Its just business. Not for everyone, of course.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25