Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:25:07 -0500
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confirmation: ext2fs requires kernel rebuild?

At 2:06 AM -0800 2002/11/19, David Schultz wrote:
>Thus spake Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>:
>  >	I'm trying to get at a file on an ext2fs slice. I'm a bit
>>  confused about kernel recompiles vs. KLDs for Linux compatibility,
>>  though. Am I reading correctly at
>  > <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html>;
>>  & <http://www.seabug.org/archive/2000-05/msg00086.html>, that I can
>>  run Linux applications with a single command or rc.conf entry, but
>>  accessing files on ext2 file systems requires a kernel rebuild?
>>
>>	This seems a bit backwards -- is anyone aware of work to make
>>  ext2fs a standard module, so it can be loaded under GENERIC?
>
>Running Linux binaries and using Linux filesystems are two
>completely different things.  To to the former, and the
>appropriate rc.conf entry and install ports/emulators/linux_base
>as described in the Handbook.  To use ext2fs, you can either add
>the option EXT2FS to your kernel config to compile it statically
>into your kernel, or you can load the ext2fs module dynamically,
>even into GENERIC.  To do the latter, the module must exist;
>it will be created if you make the kernel with -DWANT_EXT2FS_MODULE.
>It is also installed by sysinstall, IIRC.

David,

	I know they're distinct, but it's silly for a discussion of
Linux applications to ignore the possibility of those apps residing
on a Linux filesystem. I couldn't find ext2fs documented anywhere,
which is the first issue. The second is adding a link & comment to
the LABI chapter.

	Thanks for the tip -- I used "WANT_EXT2FS_MODULE=TRUE" in
/etc/make.conf, which will be persistent. I think if I ever need to
use it just one time in the future, I'll try "cd
/usr/src/sys/modules/ext2fs; make install", which looks a bit easier
to find now that I know what to look for.

	Interestingly, I don't have a copy from sysinstall, and I
never manually removed it.

						Thanks,

						Chris Pepper
--