Date:      22 Apr 2003 23:42:11 -0400
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange networking behaviour (memory leak?)

--=-uft43bUB9AAglOrQakLw

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 08:32, Bill Moran wrote:
> Yes and yes.
> I assume that you're looking at the output of top while you're doing this=
.

You are right. I was sitting at the other computer initiating the
transfers, while watching top on this console. All I noticed as the
'free' RAM dropping like crazy.

> FreeBSD is pretty smart about memory.  In the top display you see active,
> inactive, cache, buffer, wired, and free memory.  The memory that's actua=
lly
> free is really the sum of inactive, buffer, cache, and free.  The free
> memory is free immediately, those other three can become free with very,
> very little effort on the part of the kernel, but if you call up the same
> application again and it's still in inactive memory, it'll start up quick=
er
> than if it has to reload it from disk.
> Free memory is wasted memory.

Wow, thanks for the clarifications (and education). I actually very glad
you explained this to me. You'll have to excuse my ignorance on some
topics; my lack of experience is sometimes glaringly obvious.

Thanks again,
--=20
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>

--=-uft43bUB9AAglOrQakLw