Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:35:22 +0300
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: one more load-cycle-count problem

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:56:35 +0200 Dan Naumov wrote:

> WDIDLE3 changes the drive firmware. This is also how WD can detect
> you've used it on your disk and void your warranty accordingly :)

I've upgraded the firmware at five WD1000FYPS disks. One of them
still kept on running load cycles. Then I used wdidle3 to disable
this feature at this particular disk. Finally that helped. But I
don't see any changes at the disk geomentry. It's just the same
as before (and other four disks as well).

May be not all disks are affected by a geometry change.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve