Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 14:21:10 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        =?windows-1252?Q?Olivier_Cochard-Labb=E9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

On Jan 7, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Olivier Cochard-Labb=E9 <olivier@cochard.me> =
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:
>>=20
>> Well perhaps the code to handle auto tuning isn't present in the =
driver itself.
>>=20
>> I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I believe it would be rather taxing =
to implement all the exceptions and that some could easily be =
overlooked.
>>=20
>> I believe it's better to have a more user-friendly documentation and =
let users tune the hardware to suit their needs.
>>=20
>=20
> And why not to provide a "simple" shell script that:
> 1. Collect the detected hardware device list
> 2. Collect the sysctl value
> 3. Popose all tunning tips regarding the detected hardware (including
> RAM/number of CPU/etc=85) and the sysctl value
>=20
> This will kept default conservative value and guide the user to tune
> by itself its system.
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> Olivier

Tuning isn't simply dependent on your hardware, it also *heavily* =
depends on what you want to do with your server.

A large database, a fast httpd serving tiny 2kbytes files, or a samba =
server have little in common and require different optimizations.

While I understand the motivation behind your idea, I still don't think =
it would be terrific.

However, who am I to stop you ?

Kindly feel free to conceptualize such a script and ask for testers here =
on the mailing list, I for one would be delighted to help.=