Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 02:44:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      jsd@jdyson.com
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Personal patches and simple mutual respect

Brett Glass said:
> At 03:21 PM 1/5/2004, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>
> >BTW, as an occasional listener and former fan of Limbaugh's since
> >1988, I find that your characterizations of him as little-known,
> >ignorant, stupid, bigoted, and unhumorous are all generally false and
> >are made in a blatant and hateful manner that is harmful to the
> >purposes of this forum.
>
> It's Limbaugh who's hateful. As well as deserving of the other
> epithets you mention above.

Rather than discuss the merits or disadvantages of Limbaugh,
your own vehemence is EXACTLY the reason why it is inappropriate
to let too much political commentary poison the atmosphere
in FreeBSD.

Lets show respect for each other's political sensibilities,
and not feel like simple mutual respect and politeness
should be mistaken for political correctness.

Rush Limbaugh doesn't add anything to FreeBSD, but nor
do the following:
Al Franken, Michael Moore, Janeane Garafolo, Sean Hannity,
Dr Laura, Neil Boortz, Alan Colmes, James Carville etc...

This isn't a calling for 'censorship', but is simply
recognizing the fact that there is alot of political
divisiveness going on right now, and the intensity
borders on the level of the jihadis who knocked down
the WTC buildings!!!

People can ALWAYS add their own silly data files...

(In my own case, I have an extremely intense meta dislike
for intolerance of other people's ideas.)  It is best
to make a decision based upon respect for other people's
feelings, and not base it on 'correctness' of each indivdiual
idea.  So, to make me angry, it would be either for a
crusade that there is censorship if the off-subject material
is removed...  It would also make me angry if someone
adds controversial material INTO THE FBSD PROJECT just
to be 'in your face.'  There are plenty of forums to
discuss political issues :-).

John