Date:      10 Jan 2001 15:21:21 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking Question.

agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Alwyn Goodloe) writes:

> Your solution of  Not enabling net.inet.ip.fw.enable sounds like it
> would keep machines outside of the private network from mistaking
> the private network's box as a router but the box would no longer act as
> a router for the local network. I may be misunderstanding something.

No, I was clearly wise to have included "assuming I understand the
question correctly" in my original message.  I didn't.

You're right; the machines on the outside net wouldn't access that
machine unless they were told about it somehow, and there are a
limited number of ways that can happen.  One is routing protocols
(although that would only affect other machines also running the same
protocols, which would probably be other routers).  Aside from that,
manual configuration is the only way anyone outside could decide to
send packets to your router for further forwarding.