Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:22:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

> > > Translation: "No."  :-)
> >
> > Translation: "Jordan should give me the same benefit of the doubt as
> > he gives to complete strangers".
>
> I think you misread that one.  Consider the odds of "the FS framework
> being logically layered to eliminate upcalls and make all VOP's
> reflexive" as a prerequisite and you'll see the accuracy of my
> translation emerge. :)

Well, I think Poul has honestly done a lot of work in this area, and
I've done most of the rest of the work, if only people would take the
code without insisting on understanding how it works, so long as it
does (I'm willing to be called to account when it doesn't, and I'm
in the Bay Area now, so if you are interested, I can whiteboard
anything that isn't obvious, and save a lot of written hand-waving;
some of these problems are hard, and you can't easily explain hard
problems, or they wouldn't be hard problems.  Worst case, you can
just back it out, like you've done with other changes).

Frankly, I don't pretend to understand all of the intracacies of
everything in the VM system (only the parts I care about, and the others,
only enough to get me into trouble).  But I've been doing FS work
professionally for about 10 years now, on a large number of platforms,
and I've hacked on "Oh golly" code in Veritas and NetWare UNIX Client,
and locking in AIX (I don't know anyone else who can do advisory locking
from AIX kernel threads), and an SMP-safe FS for SVR4 and SunOS and Solaris.
I certainly don't expect everyone to understand what I understand without
putting in 10 years on the subject themselves (yes, I readily acknowledge
that there are people who've done this, and people who've done a hell of
a lot more, but I'm willing to contribute code and fixes to FreeBSD, and
they are all off working on proprietary code).

There is a dearth of real architecture work that's going on right now,
and I have a real problem with this fact.  The NFS breakage is one
example of an architectural cascade failure that's out of control,
despite the best efforts of those valiantly in the path of the avalanche.
FreeBSD used to be able to point to the stability of it's networking
and it's NFS as being "the reference implementations", and now it's
being beaten up.  This *must* stop.

Apparently, very recently, it was decided that the primary reason stated
against incorporating my FS architecture changes, divergence from other
BSD's, no longer held as much force.  Certainly, the *necessary* work
Elvind is doing attests to that: the need for a clean workplace finally
outweighed the need to prevent divergence from other dirtier workplaces
(I would be happy for them to pick up my FS code from FreeBSD, just as
FreeBSD picked up my LKM code from NetBSD).  FS hackers need an equivalent
"clean workplace" -- me among them.

It would be a shame to lose this *wonderful* momentum towards actual,
and IMO, necessary to the future of FreeBSD, progress, without at least
a token struggle.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---