Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:53:42 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Sylvain Lemasson <sylvain_lemasson@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unable to ping or connect to freebsd

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:29:32PM +0100, Sylvain Lemasson wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have installed freebsd 5.2.1 and connect it to the
> network using ppp. it works well. I have access to
> internet but I am unable to ping the freebsd from
> another computer. The network card get the ICMP
> packets but it seems that they are filters whereas no
> firewall like ipfw are installed. My rc.conf is
> bellow. As you can see the kernel_secureLevel is
> disable.
>
> ppp_nat="yes"

NAT normally does not allow connections from outside in, or unsolicited
UDP or ICMP from outside in.  Why do you need to allow that?  Or, unless
your fbsd box is acting as a router, why do you need NAT?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.