Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:50:30 -0800
From:      Rusty <irisinc@gci.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What happens Next?

Hi!

I tried to install apsfilter from the ports collection and all I
received was a 404 error.

I examined the Makefile and found that the address where apsfilter was
to be found did not contain any apsfilter files, instead they contain
inn, crossfire and osi-appletalk.

The only place I could find apsfilter is;
www.freebsd.org/~andreas/apsfilter/download.html.

What to do?  I then downloaded the file apsfilter-5.1.3.tar.gz to my
/usr/ports/distfiles directory, mounted the cdrom on /cdrom as the book
and handbook instruct typed make and was told what I am always told:
"apsfilter doesn't appear to be on this system".  No matter what I do or
how I try to use the CD I get that same message;  it's getting old.

The makefile can't find anything on my system, the ftp returns a 404
error and the book and handbook say using this system is the greatest
thing since sliced bread.  Well, I guess I'm pretty dumb.  I read it all
and can't figure the damn thing out.

I opened a text editor (not vi), and changed makefile after making a
copy.  I inserted the version number of apsfilter I wanted and I also
changed the path to page where andreas keeps apsfilter.  CD'ed to /usr
ports, typed make and lo and behold all kinds of things got installed
and the ftp was working overtime.

I'm sure since I hacked this file to accomplish an install that it's
going to cause problems.  What do I do now??

BTW, is there an easier way?

Rusty