Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:44:02 -0500
From:      "Michel Sneyd" <ms_dbl_click@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Help with Installation

Hi,

I attempted to install FreeBSD last night for the first time, obviously I
did not have much success.

I have an old Compaq P590 server( From the first Pentium Server models
offered by Compaq) with built in NCR 53C810 PCI SCSI controller. The HD is
SCSI port 0 & the CD is SCSI as well. The system is currently loaded with NT
Server & formatted with NTFS.

I went into the Compaq setup and changed the boot option to Unix.

I have the latest CD form Walnut Creek, which I used to create the boot
floppies. After booting from the Kernel.flp and skipping over the manual
config I was asked to load the second floppy. It looked as though it had
assembled a new OS and it went through the reboot process.

After checking the hardware the system prompts me Error found in setup F1 to
Continue or F10 to enter setup, or something along those lines. If I hit F1
the system attempts to boot off the floppy it just finished updating, and it
just seems to hang.

If I reboot without floppy the system will come up fine under NT, which is
odd because I thought that if I changed the boot argument in the hardware
setup I would get an error at this point.

What should I try next?
- Is there another setting that needs changed in the system config?
- Should I re-format Hard Drive or drop the primary partition?
- Is it something to do with the Compaq or just an inexperienced pilot
error?

Note is my first attempt with Unix or one of its subsets. I am so ignorant I
am not sure what questions to ask or where to start looking.

Thank you in advance,

Michel