Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 98 09:29:48 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unnumbered links in PPP ?

Hi,

My first question was not clear enough - apologies. .. ;-)

I found "unnumbered" links in the OSPF RFC (rfc2328 is the last version)

<quote rfc>
RFC 2328		     OSPF Version 2		      April 1998

	IP interface address
	    The	IP protocol address for	this interface.	 This uniquely
	    identifies the router over the entire internet.  An	IP
	    address is not required on point-to-point networks.	 Such a
	    point-to-point network is called "unnumbered".

</quote>

In unnumbered links, each endpoint of a point-to-point link is anonymous
and takes its IP address from the router id itself (if a router has 3 ppp
links, each will have the same "IP address" - they will be singled out by
the IP address of the other endpoint). This allows to save IP addresses
and to not use private IP addresses on a backbone network.

So back to the initial question : can the IP stack of FreeBSD support
such links ? (I don't know what could be the result of an ifconfig
request on such links, for example)

	Hoping my question is a bit clearer this time

	TfH

> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just looked at the man page for 2.2.7-R PPP and I don't find any
> > mention of unnumbered links (which allows not to assign an IP address
> > each extremity of a PPP link).
> >
> > Q : will there be any support for PPP unnumbered links in FreeBSD ?
(I