Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 1995 12:59:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@server.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   2.0.5 comments/feedback

Hi folks,

	Great job! Some of the improvements are quite stunning. However,
there are a few things that could be improved. Some of these might
qualify as bugs, but the majority of this post is a list of suggestions
for improvements. Hence, sending it to this list.

VERSION: 2.0.5-ALPHA, install floppies from 6/3/95 8am.

	1. Souldn't there also be a 'clear bootable' option when
partitioning you disk geometries? Because the contests fo the flags
column seemed to change unpredictably at times, I could not tell whether,
selecting the 'use all' option set this flag. If it does, then it would
be simple to say 'use all' and 'clear bootable' to make a single
partition on a non-boot disk. Perhaps a 'toggle bootable' option would be
best.

	2. As I memtioned above, the contents of the 'flags' column are
unclear. While the values on disk as numbers/bit fields, it may be better
to only show the flag symbolically. Upon using one of the updated floppy
sets, I did see an 'A' fairly consistently, but meaning the other characters
were not clear. Perhaps a legend for the partition editor would be a good
idea.

	3. The button and key usage of the install menus are inconsistent
and almost contradictory at points. I did see the improvement in the X
submenus, but there are still problems. First, I think that a single
meaning should be bound tightly to a single key and the redundant options
removed.

	The one redundant one is the ESC key for getting a shell.  Given
that you get a shell on ttyv3 pretty early and I could find nothing
helpful to do in the 'ESC shell' until the root floppy was mounted and the
ttyv3 shell already existed, I think it could be eliminated without loss.

	With respect to the SPACE and the RETURN keys, there are also
problems.  In some places SPACE toggles setting; In others, it advances to
another menu. This seems to encroach upon the use of RETURN. Also the
CANCEL option to signify that you ar done with a menu is rather unclear.

	I think the best solution here would be to provide a notion of
forward and backward directions when navigating configuration menus. Under
this scheme, CANCLE would back up to the previous menu and 'OK' would be
replaced with 'CONTINUE'. If both buttons would result in returning to the
same menu (e.g. the X 'font menu'), then one keeps the user's settings and
the other forgetts them.  The use of SPACE to toggle itmes is perfectly
acceptible, so its other manigs should be shifted. However, it might be
clearer instead to eliminate its use, and provide a 'SELECT' button when
necessary and have it highlighted by default when entering a new menu.

	4. Sysinstall should be made safe to run at a later point to add
uninstalled distributions. After several retries, I got tired of
installing the full distribution. After getting up and running with the
minumal distribution, I used sysinstall to install the rest. This turns
out to be a problem for a couple of reasons. First, sysinstall re-extracts
the root filesystem over my customized one. This blew away many of my /etc
files! Second, I do not think it is appropriate to always reset the scsi
devices upon start up. It stopped a playig cd in a cdrom that I did not
intend to use for installing and it rewound a tape that I had advanced for
the purposes of installing. Third, it might be a good idea to show where
sysinstall will extract a tape archive and what path it will use to find
the distributions, then allow the latter to be edited to compensate ofr
any added paths in the tar. The defaults did not work for me, and I had to
install from UFS and use the fact that the install would pause with a
message about not finding the distribution as an opportunity to untar it
and set up the path correctly. Specifically, I used 'get 2.0.5-ALPHA.tar
|"dd of=/dev/nrst0 obs=20b"' to make my archive. This includes 2.0.5-ALPHA
in the path. I would have needed a lot of local temporary storage to make
my tape without this path on it.

	5. While I let FreeBSD determin the geometries to use which
seemed reasonable, I still got warning messages about calculated and
label geometries disagreeing. (I actually recall seing this with 2.0 when
doing a 'disklabel -r'.) Is there something wrong here or are the
error/warnign messages temselves the problem?

	6. I got a message about 'resolv.conf' not being configured, but
never saw any opportunity to configure this file.

	7. Complains about not being able to extract srelease.ab.
srelease.aa appears to be complete, so this is probably a problem with
the packing list.

	8. While it is great to be able to switch back and forth bewteen
ttyv0 and ttyv1 during installation, it would be nice if all messages to
ttyv0 were echoed to ttyv1. Unless it is actually quiet enough ot hear my
disk stop, I find myself wondering what is happening and toggling back
and forth many times.

	9. If you boot without a tape in the tape drive, sysinstall doe
not belive you have one. I does recognise the drive during boot, and it
is useable froma  shell, so this problem is particular to sysinstall.

	10. ttyv0 is blank when extracting the distribution from tape. It
would be better if there was nominally a message saying 'now is a good
time for a coffee break.'

	11. Similarly, when breaking out of sysinstall and the system is
halting, the 'system halted, press any key' message does not appear
unless I flip back and forth between another tty. Otherwise it behaves
correctly.

	12. After repeatedly bouncing around the sysinstall menu system,
I started gettign 'disk full' messages. I see that a MFS is used, so I
can see why the space is limited. I suspect either temporary files are
collecting when I cancel from certain menus, or that the sysinstall.debug
file was growing large.

	13. At ties the progress indicator bar extends past the right
hand side of the box. Otherwise really cool. :-)

	14. Whether the final message after extraction say I succedded or
failed seems to be irrelavent to whehter any errors were encountered.

	15. It would be better if the labels for the BootEasy menu could
be specified by the installer. 'BSD' is too generic. I could easily have
multiple BSD'spp.

	16. The interface for slip is not cuaa0, but sl0, Yet, cuaa0
finds its way into sysconfig.

	17. /etc/netstart should be run after 'rm var/run/*' in /etc/rc.
This is necessary because slattach.*.pid gets blown away almost immediately.

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| info at ftp.uu.net:/doc/lpf, print
       Programming Freedom               ->| "join.ps.Z" for an application