Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:55:05 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VLAN experiences with FreeBSD?

I would like to find out what kind of experiences people have had
implementing VLANs in FreeBSD.  We're currently running some Red Hat Linux
machines and have created VLANs on them but are considering moving this to
FreeBSD.  The Linux machines will sometimes completely stop responding, and
I mean nothing, no video, no keyboard, no network, no response at
all.  These machines are all connected to various models of Cisco ethernet
switches, all of which support 802.1q VLANs, but we use the machines for
authenticating public users.  We believe that FreeBSD would provide a more
stable environment but have no experience using/creating/managing 802.1q
VLANs on FreeBSD.

Any information would be appreciated.

Oscar