Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:23:40 -0500
From:      Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd@grant.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System clock out of control

cjclark@alum.mit.edu wrote:

} On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 09:27:05AM +0200, Michael Grant wrote:
} > Patrick Hartling wrote:
} > > I tried adding these options, but it unfortunately didn't help.  Now
} > > the CPU is being reported as running at 18.08 MHz.  I have played around
} > > with some of the Cyrix-specific options in LINT that are not noted as
} > > being dangerous, but nothing is helping.  :(  What I really don't
} > > understand is how GENERIC works fine with no extra options.   I must be
} > > missing something simple...
} >
} > This says something!  If you don't have this problem with a GENERIC
} > kernel, then the thing to try (yes, I know this is tedious) is to
} > start adding/removing things one-by-one from GENERIC until it looks
} > like the kernel that fails.  This should make it obvious what is
} > causing it to do this and that would be very helpful info indeed!

I have started this process, but I have only gotten through one iteration
because I got too tired to work on it last night.  ;)

} I would start with,
}
}   cpu             I386_CPU
}   cpu             I486_CPU
}   cpu             I586_CPU
}   cpu             I686_CPU
}
} Which of these did you chose?

This is in fact where I started.  I chose to remove all but I586_CPU.
I just rebooted, and the clock is ticking away at (more or less) the
right speed.  It's definitely not going 10 times too fast.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916
http://www.137.org/patrick/		| http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/