Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2021 16:44:00 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpi4b main-n245392-8423f5d4c12 won't boot due to microsd timeout [FIXED]

--79TQ+r8q2KPDo5o0

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 06:50:02PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

>So there would seem to be no urgent aspect of
>existing RPi[34] u-boot ports vs. Klaus K.'s
>build(s) to lead Klaus to put up reviews on
>Phabricator for updates to:
>
>sysutils/u-boot-rpi-arm64
>sysutils/u-boot-rpi3
>sysutils/u-boot-rpi4

I don't know what (version) those ports make, as I've never=20
tested/used them. My way of working (directly updating firmware files)=20
is a hangover from the time when there was little support for the rpi4/8GB=
=20
and I've just never changed my method. Maybe that needs changing.

>> [1] how would I "test" the installed[2] u-boot.bin to make sure it was
>> working correctly?
>
>I was thinking of whatever criteria you used when you
>wrote:
>
>QUOTE
>. . .
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbsd-rpi4-u-boot2021-04-klaus/files/u-b=
oot.bin/download

>Pleased to report this new u-boot works perfectly! thank you
>END QUOTE

what I was looking for when I asked the question was whether you might
know a method of testing it programmatically. I mean, I'm not a programmer,=
=20
so I don't know where to look. I don't even know what the
three firmware files do, apart from leveraging the booting process.=20

By "works perfectly", what I mean is it seems to do everything asked of it.
The stable/13 machine, as well as self-hosting, runs poudriere for about 500
packages, runs mail clients, is a web server, uses usb3+zfs for
additional (2Tb) storage, boots off sdcard, is clocked at 2GHz.

I don't know what else to test apart from transferring files from sdmmc to
usb3 storage and back and checking for crc errors, I mention because=20
there was an issue with large file transfers a while ago.

>I had not quizzed you about what it takes to have the
>status "works perfectly".

Hopefully, the above answers that. If not, please suggest some tests to
run?

> (I would expect that "works perfectly" has to involve how the combination=
=20
> of u-boot and RPi* firmware operate together in making the
> judgment.)

All I can say for certain is that this combination
wget
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbsd-rpi4-u-boot2021-04-klaus/files/u-boot=
=2Ebin/download
-O u-boot.bin
fetch
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/0591568b29a724de406aa737fc8e13f=
68c423f3f/boot/start4.elf
fetch
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/0591568b29a724de406aa737fc8e13f=
68c423f3f/boot/fixup4.dat

"work perfectly" (but see [3]), with both a stable/13 (13-n244890) GENERIC =
rpi4 and current/14=20
(main-n245454) rpi4 with a GENERIC-NODEBUG kernel.

>[2] has both a different u-boot and a different
>group of RPi* firmware files.
>
>There would seem to be no urgent aspect of the
>existing sysutils/rpi-firmware port vs. the
>Mar 10 2021 RPI* materials to lead anyone to
>put up a review on Phabricator for updating:

I'm not sure either way because I don't know if or how any of the three
files work when it comes to initialising usb, or sdmmc which is where I
started.

Additionally, main-n245454 (generic, so debug kernel) unmodified will=20
boot if there's nothing usb attached. If my usb3 disk is plugged in=20
after it boots, the pi will panic. If I reboot replacing just the u-boot=20
with Klaus's u-boot, I get the same result.=20

If I replace all 3 files with the latest versions as described in the
URLs, (again generic kernel so with debug on main/14), it will still=20
panic when usb is plugged in. Presumably these "latest" files are ahead=20
of those made by ports.

So, the things that are fixed for me are sdmmc initialisation (presumably
u-boot fixed this) on stable/13 and usb initialisation (which making a
generic kernel on main/14 fixes).

[3] only thing tested on current/14 is booting and buildworld
--=20
J.

--79TQ+r8q2KPDo5o0

--79TQ+r8q2KPDo5o0--