Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:13:37 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   slice weirdness

--lEGEL1/lMxI0MVQ2

Hi,

while trying to migrate my FreeBSD -CURRENT partition to another disk, I ke=
ep
running into a slice weirdness issue which makes the kernel unable to find
it's root fs. It seems that something about the partition table is fishy su=
ch
that GEOM doesn't find both slices:

Script started on Mon Aug  9 01:05:46 2004
> sudo fdisk ad1
******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=3D119150 heads=3D16 sectors/track=3D63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=3D119150 heads=3D16 sectors/track=3D63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 7 (0x07),(OS/2 HPFS, NTFS, QNX-2 (16 bit) or Advanced UNIX)
    start 63, size 59392242 (29000 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
	end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 59392305, size 60709635 (29643 Meg), flag 81
	beg: cyl 1023/ head 255/ sector 63;
	end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  24 Aug  9 01:04 /dev/ad1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    4,  26 Aug  9 01:04 /dev/ad1s1
> cat /dev/ad1s2a
cat: /dev/ad1s2a: No such file or directory
> cat /dev/ad1s2a
cat: /dev/ad1s2a: No such file or directory
> exit

Script done on Mon Aug  9 01:06:10 2004

So where's my /dev/ad1s2?

The disk layout is ad1s1 is my Windows partition, ad1s2 my targetted new
partition for the FreeBSD installation currently residing at ad0s1.

I first created ad1s2 by hand using fdisk, but got the exact same result.  =
The
script above shows the values that I obtained when /sbin/sysinstall
partitioned the drive. After partitioning the device nodes reappear, and I =
was
able to install{kernel,world} with DESTDIR pointing to the newly mounted
ad1s2, but the device nodes disappear after having booted the newly install=
ed
slice. That boot ends with the kernel unable to find the root file system
ad1s2a (which is not strange given the above).

Am I looking at some sort of geometry bug? I've tried setting the BIOS
geometry settings to LBA (from Auto), that didn't make a difference.  Setti=
ng
them to CHS produced an unbootable Windows so I reverted that. In any case
I thought that those values were of historical interest only...

Any clues?

--Stijn

PS: I thought that there was a sysctl that showed the GEOM topology in XML;
    however I was unable to find it in sysctl -a. Is it still around?

--=20
The rain it raineth on the just
	And also on the unjust fella,
But chiefly on the just, because