Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:00:27 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

John Baldwin wrote:

> It looks like strip is linked against /usr/lib/libc.a.
>
> Marcel,
>
> It looks like there may be a bug in buildworld.  It seems that static binaries
> are being linked against /usr/lib/libc.a rather than
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/lib/libc/libc.a.

In what stage?

> across architectures could work if this is so.  In the case described, the host
> machine was built with -march=pentiumpro, and world was built w/o this flag
> because it was intended to be installed on a 486.

This doesn't work. The object tree will contain binaries compiled for
Pentium Pro processors and thus may contain instructions not present on
i486. The binaries I'm talking about are those that are *explicitly*
compiled to be run on the build machine. This includes the bootstrap,
build and cross tools. These tools are also used during install and thus
must be compatible with the machine you're installing on.

In short: Do not not build on Pentium with -march=pentiumsomething and
then later install on non-pentiums!

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org