Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:12:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        jdunham@fc.net (Jerry Dunham), grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: programmer's editor choice

Jonathon McKitrick babbled:
> From jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org Wed Jan 26 17:07:42 2000

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Jerry Dunham wrote:
>
> >Or just as slowly.  The learning curve for vi is very painful, and I
> >understand the curve for Emacs is no better.
> >
> >I'm a vi user, and use it on every platform I use: UNIX, WinNT, and Atari.
> >I really appreciate that it's so universal.  Even so, the interface sucks.
>
> I know vi is universal, but for your own use, have you tried VIM?  I
> would expect you have, but i thought i would ask.  Vastly imporved
> interface, with multiple buffers and other emacs-like
> features.  Definitely worth a look.  Plus color syntax
> highlighting!

I was generacizing.  I have vim and Lemmy on my NT notebook, STeVIe on my
Atari, vim and nvi on my FreeBSD machine, and nvi on my SGI.  I actually
like Lemmy the best.  I'm writing this reply with nvi on someone else's
FreeBSD machine.  By far the nicest aspect of vi is that I can find an
editor with the basic vi functionality on pertnear any machine I have need
of using.  It's called standardization.  That (and inertia) keeps me with
vi.

I wonder whether anyone has ported vi to the Sinclair....    :-)

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix