Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 11:52:26 -0500
From:      nathan <beemern@telecom.ksu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   init bootstrap from harddrive

Question:
How do I write bootstrap info to my harddrive so that it boots directly
into freebsd?

Details:
It has freebsd on it now, but, i must boot from a disk, and then enter
0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader  which then finishes booting from the harddrive
and all is fine... it works great for what we need it for.

Also, this is on a 386SX laptop with 4 MB ram, so using the install
program is not an option.  I've read fdisk, disklabel man pages, and
searched the questions' archive, but i'm a bit hesitant to go issuing
those commands considering the effort it took to get fbsd on this system
in the first place, i DON'T want to blow away all my work.

btw.. i tried using a dos disk with bootinst.exe, and that installed
booteasy, but on boot, it just keeps saying "Default Freebsd F?" over
and over no matter what i type and doesn't boot anything.  And since
this 120mb harddrive has ONLY fbsd on it, i don't need a boot mgr
anyway.

example:
DOS:  i'd just run  'fdisk /mbr'
LINUX:  i'd simply do  'lilo'