Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:57:56 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-current@jrv.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installer Roadmap

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 11:33 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> That is mostly true.  There are some SCSI BIOSes that would examine the MBR
> and infer what C/H/S geometry the OS was expecting from the MBR.  The
> original dedicated disk dummy MBR triggered a divide by zero in one of these
> BIOS ROMs.

I guess RAID BIOS's read through the MBR too: my Gigabyte board has an
Intel AHCI BIOS (1.20E seems to be the problematic revision) with
fakeraid that hangs (requiring a CMOS reset) if you install FreeBSD
physically after Windows 7 x64 for example - and some IBM laptops have a
bug related to repair partitions and FreeBSD too
(http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Laptops), so they must read the MBR
too.

--
Bruce Cran