Date:      19 Feb 2002 17:24:20 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fdisk and DOS floppies

Umm, I don't have a clear picture of how fdisk used to behave with DOS
floppies. I do seem to remember that I got proper partition table info
with it. Not sure about it, though.

On a 4.5-STABLE system, if I do a 'fdisk fd0' with a DOS formatted
floppy stuffed in, I get:

fdisk: can't get disk parameters on /dev/fd0; supplying dummy ones
******* Working on device /dev/fd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1 heads=1 sectors/track=1 (1 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1 heads=1 sectors/track=1 (1 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
[ bogus partition table deleted ]

If I have a floppy with a ufs fs, I get a good partition table:

******* Working on device /dev/fd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=80 heads=2 sectors/track=18 (36 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=80 heads=2 sectors/track=18 (36 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
[ a proper partition table deleted ]

Looks like the geometry numbers are screwed in the first example.

I'd like to be able to get at the partition tables with DOS disks
also. (Or possibly some other snappy way of distinguishing unmounted
DOS disks from unmounted ufs floppies)

--
muuu.