Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 00:07:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>
To:        Jim Pazarena <paz@ccstores.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: setting up mail server

On 19-Aug-99 Jim Pazarena wrote:
> If you are creating a (FreeBSD) mail server on the net, is it 'required'
> to utilize an IP for an address named "smtp.XX.XX" ?

Nope.

> I've got the machine's REAL name, and a second IP for "mail.XX.XX". It seems
> to me that if my DNS always points at "MX  mail.XX.XX", then "smtp." doesn't
> enter the picture but I don't want to miss something.

that'll be fine.

Be sure to use an 'A' record for mail (| mx | smtp | whatever)
no 'CNAME' target allowed.

> The reason I ask is a few years ago I hired a consultant to set up my
> original email and he created both mail & smtp... I've always left it
> as such but never understood why.

prolly thinking forward to in-bound & out-bound servers. ( but just a guess on
my part.)

Regards,
---
Don Read                                 dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                  dread@texas.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co.                               Austin TX
-- But I'm in good company, sendmail has kicked a great many
     butts in the past