Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 20:20:28 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: lkms

On 14-May-97 at 01:56:28 Chuck Robey wrote:
>I haven't ever used any lkm stuff before, but I want to give it a try
>now, on the cdrom driver.  I don't have a cdrom configured into the
>kernel here ... how do I go about using it?  Any tips on maximizing
>safety?  I'm running current.

In the kernel config file (/sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNEL) select the appropriate
CDROM driver (wcd for an ATAPI drive, scd for a Sony CDU etc.) See
/sys/i386/conf/LINT for hints.

Then run MAKEDEV in /dev and create your device

Then add a line like

/dev/?cd0               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

to your /etc/fstab

Security:
As _root_, do:

        # mount /cdrom
        # umount /cdrom

to see and hide your cdrom.

>----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
>chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
>9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
>Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
>(301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!

cu Jo

FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it          <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Joachim Kuebart                                    <joa@delos.lf.net>
Tel: +49 711 653706                        <joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>