Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 19:03:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olof Johansson <offe@dawnrazor.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lock problems with current from 1031?

Hello all,

I installed the 1031-SNAP from current.freebsd.org after running the
february snap since it came out. The reason for upgrading was the new
sound drivers for full duplex, the previous one has worked really well.

Anyway, after upgrading I've experienced complete lockups of the system.
It behaves strangely in that it is still running and I can use the
processes that are created, but new ones won't start.
If I break into the console debugger and do a ps lots of processes are
waiting either in "ffsvgt" (ffs_inode_hash_lock) or in "vnlock".

I just reproduced the error by running one cvsup of the www tree and one
"ls -lR / >/dev/null". When I quit the ls (^C) it stopped in "vnlock" and
froze. A little later other processes started freezing in vnlock and
ffsvgt as well.

The hardware in this system: ASUS PVI-SP3 with AMD 5x86-133, SC-200 with
/, /var /usr and swap, /usr/local and homedirs on a IDE drive (not setup
in bios). 32MB mem and ET6000 graphics + AOpen AW35 soundcard.

My first suspicions were that there's some kind of problems with the
locks, but I'm not so sure about that any longer.

Anyone else that has seen these problems?

					-Olof

PS. I'm not sure if I'm on freebsd-current yet, I re-subscribed to it
today, so please cc: to me in any replies. Thanks! DS.