Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:38:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@worldaccess.nl>
To:        webmaster@global-impact.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD + Majordomo

Hi

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 webmaster@global-impact.com wrote:

>I send out mail to around 10,000+ customers each month.
>
>Our customer file list is around (260kb) with 10,000+ email addresses.
>When I send mail to the list it takes in excess of 10 hours for
>majordomo to queue up all of the email addresses!  Is this a BUG or is

Wow, that's very much.
I don't know how that goes with majordomo, because I use 'listserv' (not
the usual one, just another one ;-), my opion is that majordomo is slow
(written in perl)), but here I make an sendmail-alias which points to the
list-members... works ok here. e.g.:
example:	/usr/mail/maillists/example
and in the example files stands:
me@localhost
me@anotherhost
and I think majordomo uses that notation to.
advantage is that there's just one message in the queue, but maybe thats
the same as it is with majordomo, but never used it.

If you want to add something to the message, e.g. a 'Reply-to', you can
write a simple programm... I wrote something like that in C.

My listserv just adds an adress when subscribing to the
/usr/mail/maillists/example so that works really nice, and fast. (listserv
is written in C)

>there a way to make it create a seperate queue for each address or some
>how speed the queue process up?  It just seem stange that it would take
>that long on a P166 with OVER 100mb of RAM. Is there something wrong
>with the software or is it in the configuration?

I think it's because of majordomo.

Does it also take a long time to sent all the messages away?

--
Paul Dekkers (psd@worldaccess.nl or psd@dds.nl)
N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo