Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 10:59:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Carl Delsey <cdelsey@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fdisk recognizes 30GB hard drive as 2GB.

Carl Delsey wrote:

> Thanks Kent. It looks like that is the problem.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not the solution. I've got an older motherboard, and the
> BIOS locks up
> without the jumper in place. I've reflashed the BIOS to the latest version
> but it doesn't fix
> the problem.

The only time that has happened to me was when I tried to use "dangerously
dedicated". I re-added a regular DOS style mbr and the bios didn't have
problems with the drive.

> Still, there should be a way around the problem since Win98 fdisk can detect
> the correct
> size.
>
> I've tried to manually change the drive geometry within the FreeBSD
> sysinstall fdisk
> program but it doesn't have any effect on the available size.

I don't have any idea about this. I've never had to do anything like this.
There were a few systems in the past that people had to add a small DOS
style partition and then FreeBSD could use the rest of the drive.

Kent