Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        Andriy Korud <akorud@polynet.lviv.ua>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLINK-DFE570TX

Essenz Consulting writes:
| Andriy,
|
| The card should work fine under FreeBSD 4.0 since is based on the DEC
| 21143 chip. I havent heard any "fail" stories..... but...
|
| The card retails for under $250, you can probably pick it up for under
| $200 if you found a good deal. Im used to working with Quad cards that
| cost well over $500. How good can a $200 Quad card be? This D-LINK card is
| cheaper than intels Dual port NIC...  So I wouldn't be suprised if over
| time these cards turn out to be a litle shotty.

I have success > 16 cards in different machines.  Yes we used to pay the
$500 for Adaptec quad cards or the Zynz.  Now we use the D-Link since
they fit in the 1U cases that we have (the Adaptec and others tend
to be full length PCI ... atleast the Dec based ones were).  I always
thought $500 was to much and $300 for the Intel was also to much.
Since I could buy Dec based cards for $30 dollars.  $30 x 4 = $120 add
some for the bridge and minus the stuff needed for 4 separate cards and
$200 or whatever sounds like what it should be to me.  BTW I bought my
first one via onsale for $152.  Note that www.shopper.com shows some
listed for $147.99.  So I'd try to get them for $150.

Doug A.