Date:      15 Apr 1998 15:30:14 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's difference between FreeBSD and GNU's HURD?

Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net> writes:

> My friend told me that GNU'S HURD is power more than FreeBSD and
> Linux, is it the truth?  Would anyone tell me what's difference
> between FreeBSD and HURD?  advantages and disadvantages?

GNU Hurd is a neat OS with some neat ideas.  It is mach-microkernel
based and it is a multiserver, which means that it has daemons for
pretty much every kernel subsystem like network protocols, fileystems,
and so on.

HOWEVER, the Hurd is very early in development.  It is unstable.  It
is slow.  It lacks a lot of hardware support.  It has a miniscule user
community.  Most of the nifty capabilities are just being used to
emulate a decent stable system like freebsd or linux at this point,
and thus are not really terribly exciting to the end user.

If you're a kernel hacker, then you may or may not find the Hurd very
exciting.

Regardless, I think it would be safe to say that any definition of the
word "power" (such as speed, robustness, stability, scalability) you
are probably interested in, linux and freebsd beat the Hurd hands down
(at least for now).

--

Steve Farrell