Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:06:58 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeing a DVD player from a laptop

owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a laptop  with a DVD-drive and one of the ATI  video cards with a
> video  output. There  is also  a sound  card, of  course. Any  chance of
> making the thing work as a DVD player under FreeBSD?
>
> I don't really need/want the playback  on the monitor (under X11) -- I'm
> mostly interested in using the video output -- to connect to my TV set.

Unfortuntly TV-out on video cards has to be "protected" with

Macrovision.

Macrovision does not allow video card manufacturers to release the specs

for the TV-out portion of their cards generally.  I know Matrox has

released a binary only utility that supposedly allows you to run TV-out

on the Gxxx line, but I don't think ATI has followed suit.

One thing you might want to try is just plugging in your TV before
booting your computer.  On my G200 this causes the card to

automatically initalize the TV-out at startup.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer