Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 14:06:22 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world VS make build world

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 06:29:18AM -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	What would be the difference in what was done on a system
> if someone upgraded a source tree and then in /usr/src typed
>
> make world
>
> instead of
>
> make build world
>
> 	In this case, the make took 1 hour and appeared to not
> crash.  This is on a FreeBSD 4.4 system moving to 4.5.
>
> 	Would a make build world be necessary or should some
> other steps be taken before continuing with the recommended
> procedures?

'make world' is equivalent to 'make buildworld && make installworld'
I.e. 'make world' both builds and installs the new world.
'make buildworld' just builds the world.

Note that the kernel is not built by buildworld and it should be built
and installed before you do a 'make installworld' which means that you
normally should not do 'make world' but instead follow the proper
procedure as documented in /usr/src/UPDATING

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson