Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:43:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Holm Tiffe <freebsd@magnet.geophysik.tu-freiberg.de>
To:        parag@cgt.com (Parag Patel)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Gurus, please help

> >The kernel is booting to the line SMP: AP CPU #1 launched !
> >
> >the the SCSI LED goes on, and after a long time I get some
> >timeout messages from the Adaptec driver ( something with BDR,
> >and no longer in timeout, and bus resets). nothing other happens.
>
> I recently had something like this happen on my SMP system.  What it
> was doing was some really *long* timeouts probing for LUNs that didn't
> exist.  My Sony CD-R drive (CDU926S) doesn't seem to handle bogus LUNs
> being thrown at it very well.  Switching off the drive or adding a
> quirk to cam/cam_xpt.c should fix the problem.  Waiting for 5-10
> minutes also worked - it eventually came up and ran fine.  You may want
> to try turning off various peripherals and see if that helps.

I'll try that today evening, but this does'nt explain why the same
machine runs fine in UP mode, with the same -current and the same
hardware.
I have an Toshiba CDROM and it never had problems with LUN probing.

> >The overclocked P90 CPU (100Mhz) has never had any problems in UP mode,
> >(as 1st. processor) this machine is rock solid !
>
> Overclocking is never a good idea for long-term reliability.  Things will work fine for months, then *boom*.  Please run all your tests without overclocking so the problem is verifiably the software, otherwise I think the FreeBSD team are likely to ignore you.

Yeah, I know, in the meantime I have managed to get another P100,
but I shure, this isn't the problem.
When you have read my entire mail, you know, that the system has
the same errors, even at 75 Mhz.

PS: You should teach your MUA to wrap lines after 80 characters...

Holm