Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:29:04 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Steven Lee <xv01325@powers.phoenix.telecom.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: QLogic SCSI controller for FreeBSD?

>Hello,
>
>I am buying a new PC to run FreeBSD. I have been offered the QLogic
>SCSI controller (VLB) at half the price of an Adaptec 2842. I have
>two questions.
>
>1)  Is anyone writing a driver for QLogic?
>2)  The salesperson claims that the QLogic controller is compatible with
>    Adaptec which if it is true suggests that I may be able to use
>    an Adaptec driver. Have you heard of any FreeBSD users doing this
>    successfully?

The Adaptec 2842 (assuming your motherboard is good about VL Busmastering
DMA) is fast, and has reliable support under FreeBSD.  The same cannot be
said of the QLogic.  Even if it works in an emulation mode, it will not
perform at its best that way.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1