Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 14:09:39 -0500
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@sliphost37.uni-trier.de> (by way of rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth))
To:        ctm-announce@freebsd.org
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   A call for new CTM mirror sites with email updating

                A call for new CTM mirror sites with automatic
                            email based updating

What this call is about:

a) We want to increase the number of anonymous ftp sites which offer
FreeBSD CTM archives. The current number is too low, which forces many
users to connect to far away sites often resulting in poor
connectivity. In particular, we would like to have a presence on
each of the continents.

b) We want to update those archives by using the CTM email flow in
addition to the normal ftp-mirror update mechanism. Deltas will be
processed and put into your ftp archive as soon as they arrive. The
traditional ftp update mechanism handles the base deltas, the deletion
of deltas which have become to old and the retrieval of those deltas,
which have not arrived at your site because of network problems. While
this reduces the risk of losing a delta, we further reduce it by
feeding your site with CTM deltas directly from the their production
site for the time being.

So, we are looking for volunteers who want to establish such an
archive from scratch or who want to "upgrade" already existing ftp
archives to take advantage of point b).

If you want to contribute to this project then please check first if
the following prerequisites are met:

a) The site offering such a service must be publically accessible by
anonymous ftp.

b) You must archive the base deltas (*.xEmpty.gz) in addition to the
normal deltas.

c) You must offer all five CTM categories (cvs-cur, src-cur, src-2.2,
src-2.1 and ports-cur). The entire archive currently takes up about
320 MB of disk space.

d) Your network connectivity should be good enough to be able to
receive and send files of up to 80 MBytes within a reasonable amount
of time.

e) You must know about basic system administration and programming
tasks, like using a C compiler, setting up a mail filter and maintaining
an anonymous ftp site. Furthermore it might become necessary to gain
root and/or ftpadmin privileges during the installation.

f) You should use and be familiar with the mirror-2.3 or mirror-2.8
package for updating your archive (see also net/mirror in the ports
collection). This is the only ftp mirror package I know about which
can be configured to reasonably coexist and cooperate with the
email-updater.

If you are interested in participating or have further questions, then
please contact me (not Richard!) at mailto:blank@fox.uni-trier.de.

        Richard Wackerbarth             Sascha Blank
        CTM-meister                     CTM-submeister
        (rkw@dataplex.net)              (blank@fox.uni-trier.de)