Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:25:20 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: off topic in chat? Search Engines question

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 05:35:11PM -0800, chip wrote:
> > I have been asked to put some new meta keywords on a web
> > site I made, and the client wants to use almost 30. I have
> > tried to explain to them that is probably too many.
> > I have emailed several search engine admins asking them
> > what they consider an appropriate amount, or max number of
> > keywords in the meta tags.
> > What are the opinions of the people on this list of this topic?
>
> Meta tags may well be dead.  Google doesn't use them because they are
> basicaly useless (99.999% of sites with META keywords just make them up
> to get hits.)  I suspect other search engines will be moving in the
> same direction since everyone is moving towards a model more like
> google's then like early search engines.

Yep, I noticed several of the more popular one's now use a
popularity
rating, the more hits a site get the higher it shows up in the
search
results. At least two make you pay (bid) on keywords in their
index, the
more you bid the higher your page shows up in the results. Can't
say I
much like that one.
I prefer the ones that look at the text of the page and pull the
search
results from the what it finds in the title, description, and
maybe
first few lines of the body. But this would hurt the sites that
use lots
of flash and other 'multimedia' pages. Oh, well. I don't like
that stuff
anyway, that's what the tv is for, not the internet (or should I
say web?)

--
Chip

--