Date:      Sat, 09 May 2009 01:10:30 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gonf2 upgrade breaks my system

--=-KJTigZUSePOGD2J6+0Xw

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 16:00 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> 7.2-STABLE of April 22. Uniprocessor system (ThinkPad T43).
>=20
> All ports updated to cvs as of 7-May at 03:00:00 UTC.
>=20
> After updating gconf2 to 2.26.1, my Gnome startup fails. I use startx,
> not gdm.
>=20
> The failure is that gnome-panel starts and the top panel appears for a
> second or two, then vanishes. But the CPU gets very busy, and the
> display starts jumping up and down by 24 pixels every second or so.
>=20
> I get no core files and see nothing on the console that would indicate
> what might be happening, but it makes the system pretty unusable. The
> only way out that I could come up with was to switch back to vty0 and
> enter a ^C.
>=20
> I tried moving my .gnome2 directory out of the way, but that did not
> help. Would .local or some other directory possibly help?
>=20
> Any idea of where to look? How to try to get an indication of the
> problem?=20

Follow the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html to build gnome-panel and
gconf2 (at least) with debugging symbols, then hopefully you'll be able
to get a backtrace from gnome-panel.  All the symptoms point to a crash,
but I cannot reproduce.

Joe

--=20

--=-KJTigZUSePOGD2J6+0Xw