Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:10:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        rward@netcom.ca
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aout-to-elf

Ryan Ward wrote:
> I think I had some problems with my system, being partially aout and elf. Is
> there a way to make sure that my system is all elf vs aout? Besides doing

Erm, if you haven't hacked things, your system should handle a mixture
of elf and aout things. The upgrade procedure clearly flags which stages
it has done (look in /usr/obj).

> aout-to-elf? When i did the aout-to-elf it broke in a few places. Maybe my
> system was already completely elf? Who knows, but I had problems with my
> make world with current and thought that this was the problem.

If you had not upgraded, a simple `make world' should have worked, subject
to the endless breakages caused by developers including a new boot loader
in the build at a time when there is supposed to be a feature freeze. This
is not supposed to be happening, regardless of any "OK'd by jkh" claims,
IMHO. It's not as though the bootloader will be enabled for the release!

If you _had_ upgraded, /etc/objformat would contain OBJFORMAT=elf, and
typing objformat would show that the system has defaulted to elf. On a
system in that state, setting OBJFORMAT=aout in your environment or
in /etc/objformat and doing a `make world' would install binaries in
aout format, without updating the elf libraries. Conversely, setting
OBJFORMAT=elf and doing a `make world' would install elf binaries again.
That's how it is supposed to work. When the tree builds, that is. Sigh.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137