Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 07:58:05 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Thomas Moyer <tmm324@psu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another sound question.

Thomas Moyer wrote:

> I've read the handbook and searched through /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES
> and found the list of snd_* drivers.  I'm just not sure which one I
> should use.  I have an Asus P4P800E-Deluxe.  The website says the
> onboard audio is ALC850 CODEC which is AC' 97 compatible.  Does anyone
> know which snd_* driver I should use.  I know in 5.2.1 and down it
> just used device pcm and it worked.

Put these lines:
sound_load="YES"
snd_driver_load="YES"

Into the file /boot/loader.conf and then reboot.
after you reboot look at dmesg and see if it found/loaded any sound drivers
you can do this by typing in dmesg at the console and using your scroll
lock key to move up/down OR type in "dmesg | grep pcm" you should see a
lines like this:
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0, sbc0 is the driver it is using, now type
in this "dmesg | grep name_of_driver" to make sure all of the sound
stuff loaded.

now put a music cd into your cd player and type in (as root) "cdcontrol
play" if you hear something that sounds like music your good to go, add
the name of the driver etc. to your kernel config file and recompile
when convenient, just remember to comment out those lines in loader.conf.

and, nevermind, im late for school