Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:02:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: badblocks?

Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> wrote:
 > If the drive is newer (and has automatic remapping), then
 > the situation is probably even worse.  New drives allocate a certain
 > percentage of space to handle the problem.  If you're starting to see error,
 > then the spare space has already been used up, and the drive is probably
 > dying rapidly.

Not necessarily.  The automatic remapping can only take
place when the drive knows the correct contents of the
sector in question.  This is only the case if the sector
is being written to, or if the firmware was able to
recover the contents using ECC.

But if an un-recoverable read error is detected, the drive
cannot automatically remap the sector.  Therefore, if a
drive reports read errors, this does NOT necessarily mean
that it has run out of spare sectors.  It doesn't even
have to die anytime soon (but of course it's possible).

Also see my other message in this thread.

Regards
   Oliver