Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:00:43 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
To:        Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: networking code and splx()

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 10:40:51AM +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> John, good day.
>
> Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:31:50AM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> > > >
> > > splx() and friends have been no-ops since FreeBSD 5.x was branched.
> > > Synchronization is now done using other mechanisms such as mutexes and
> > > spin locks. See the new man page locking(9) in -CURRENT.
> >
> > It does not seem to get installed:
>
> The locking.9 is not the part of the current build as the comment
> of the initial commit of that file says.

But if we start to refer people to it, surely it is time to install it?
It is like the Biblical example of lighting a candle and then putting
a bucket over it... Pretty much pointless.

> > Doing a grep for locking in /usr/src/share/man/man9/Makefile produce
> > nothing.
>
> But if you're running -CURRENT, then you can view the page from
> the sources (assuming that you have the system sources in /usr/src/):
> $ groff -Tascii -mandoc /usr/src/share/man/man9/locking.9 | less
>
> Our you can download the locking.9 from
>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/man/man9/locking.9

Yes, but you must know what you are looking for. The nice unix tools,
man -k and apropos, is not your friend anymore.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@meraka.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org