Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:16:25 +0100
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP under 10.3 - can't "ifconfig down" one or more VHIDs?

CARP on 9 and 10 are very different its not a separate interface
anymore, its a property on the parent interface, so the behavior your
described is expected.

If you want to disable carp just remove it, if however you want for fail
to the other virtual host, just bump the advskew or force the state change.

     Regards
     Steve