Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:46:33 +0200
From:      Ducrot Bruno <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@axe-inc.co.jp>, Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI woes again..

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 05:08:24AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> > +.Sh OVERRIDING YOUR BIOS BYTECODE
> > +ACPI interprets bytecode named AML, ACPI Machine Language, provided by BIOS
> > +vendor as memory image at boot time. Sometimes, the AML code contains
> > +problem that is not appeared in Microsoft implement. So we provide a way
> > +to override it with your own AML code.
> > +.Pp
>
> How does Windows deal with hardware that has this problem?
> Do they use a "rogues" list, and replace the AML, too (only
> automatically)?

Actually, their ACPI implementation suck, so that most of buggy
AML work.  For example, they don't check correctly if a they have
the right to read/write to some Operational Region.
If an AML declare incorrecly such regions, under FBSD
(or other free OS with an ACPI-CA implementation), it can not
work since the bound checking work as expected.

But as a consequence, those regions can't be acceded.
As an example, the status of the AC can not be reported
correctly under a Satellite 3000-601 due to this kind of bug.

--
Ducrot Bruno
http://www.poupinou.org        Page profaissionelle