Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:15:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Daniel R. Auman" <drauman@siscom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail and ServerName in Apache

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE681D.DBAAD9A0

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Daniel R. Auman wrote:
> Try to keep this simple.  FreeBSD 3.1-Stable.  Apache 1.3.4 with PHP.
> Default configuations.  I've changed nothing but,  I did have to add the
> computer name "auman" and domain name "state.oh.us" during install.
>
> Apache complains about ServerName directive and won't start.  Our
> organization relies on the a state network for DNS and they haven't
> processed our requests for DNS entries.  Can/Should I set the ServerName
> directive?  When the state finally gets around to our request will it start
> then?

You can set ServerName and Apache will then start.  Won't hurt when
the DNS is finally updated.

> Sendmail program.  A smtp client can use sendmail to get mail to the
> Internet.  It gets returned refused do to no relaying by a machine in the
> receiving domain.

I'd guess that the message is misleading and you are being rejected
because the server can't resolve your IP address to a name.  It's
a pretty common restriction these days.

>           For example, I'm sending to drauman@siscom.net and
> xxxx.siscom.net refuses to handle the message.  Can sendmail send
> "end-to-end" at least that's what I've heard it called.

If you know the actual hostname and that host is running sendmail
and that host does not have an MX record pointing to a different
machine then, yes, you can send end to end.  The receiving site
knows more about their network than you do though.  Use their MX
records to have mail processed in what *they* percieve to be the
most efficient manner.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BE681D.DBAAD9A0--