Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:33:59 +0000
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU>
To:        Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD, Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Leaving the Desktop Market

-----Original Message-----
> From: owner-freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-advocacy@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Randi Harper

>You know you opened a can of worms with that one. Because all the nerds ar=
e going to step up and say "Well, I run FreeBSD on my  >desktop! It's total=
ly viable!"

>Dear nerds, get some perspective. You aren't an end user, and you're masoc=
histic. It's okay, we accept you here. But your individual >use case doesn'=
t indicate a place in the market. Your basement isn't a market. It's a base=
ment. Your small company isn't a market. It's a >small company. Many compan=
ies combined create a market.

Why aren't all the nerds and small businesses out there a market?  I'm no m=
arketing expert or anything, but it would seem that there is some kind of m=
arket out there that isn't being catered to.  I may be a masochist, but I r=
efuse to have to pay Apples prices for their hardware.  They just seem insa=
ne to me.  If they ever decided to sell OS X for non-Apple hardware I might=
 use it.

And just for the record I've been using FreeBSD as an exclusive home deskto=
p since 1999. =20

At work now so however Outlook mangles this is my fault :)

Rod Person
Programmer
(412)454-2616

Just because it can been done, does not mean it should be done.